page 61 There are many more vector capabilities that you can take advantage of in Adobe Photoshop CS6. Try loading additional custom shapes and experimenting with different fills and strokes.You can also save your own custom shapes. If you have Adobe Illustrator, you can follow these steps to save your vector art from Adobe Illustrator as a custom shape in Adobe Photoshop.
- Open the PureSki logo.ai artwork in Adobe Illustrator.
- Choose Select > All. You can also press Ctrl+A (Windows) or Command+A (Mac OS), and choose Edit > Copy.
- Return to any image fi le in Adobe Photoshop and choose Edit > Paste; when the Paste dialog box appears, choose Shape Layer and click OK.
- With the Shape layer still selected, choose Edit > Define Custom Shape.
- When the Shape Name dialog box appears, type a name (for example, Pure logo), & click OK. The shape is now available in your custom shape drop-down menu.
- When you are finished with this exercise you can choose File > Close to close this file.
page 89 Choose File > Browse to access a practice fi le in your ps02lessons folder. You can double-click on ps0202.psd to explore workspaces further.
- Using Window > Arrange you can arrange several open document windows in different ways. Explore the different views that Photoshop provides by choosing various image arrangements.
- Click on the tabs of various panels and practice clicking and dragging panels from 1 group to another. You can put your panels back in order when you are finished experimenting by selecting Window > Workspace > Essentials, or Reset Essentials.
- Use the Window menu to open the Info, Histogram, and Layers panels, & then save a new workspace called Color Correction. These panels are covered in Photoshop Lesson 6, “Creating a Good Image.”
- Take a look at some of the pre-built workspaces Photoshop has already provided for you. They will change the panel locations, and some will highlight things in the menu that are relevant to each workspace. For instance, by selecting New in CS6, you see the new panels and new features highlighted in the menus.
- Using the farm image, try adjusting the stacking order of the layers in the composite image.
- Scale and move the layers to place the cow and rooster in different positions.
- Add your own images to the composition, adjusting their position and scaling.
- Save the images as PDF and JPEG fi les using the different compression options & presets to determine the impact these have on quality and file size.
Take some time to work with the images in this lesson to strengthen your selection skills. For instance, you used ps0503.psd with the Lasso and Quick Selection tools. Try making different selections in the image as well as using the key commands to add and subtract from the selection border. Also experiment with Quick Mask.
Return to the ps0605_work.psd image and use a variety of retouching tools, such the Clone Stamp, Spot Healing, and Healing Brush tools to fi x the rest of the damaged areas in the image. Also use the retouching tools to remove dust. Use the Clone Source panel to repair the lower-left and lower-right corners of the ps0605_work.psd image.